This is well delayed but I can't go forward until I've finished what I've started. First stop on this adventure was Newark with a sunrise behind the NYC skyline. I'll make it there one of these days.
But I was bound for warmer waters. Much warmer.

I found a super deal on a ticket to St Thomas US Virgin Islands and this was as good a time as any to visit. Once again I was headed out into a paradise in my own company.
One taxi and ferry later and I was on Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands. One of the most unique border crossings that I've ever been through.

Also one of the most entertaining. The customs official that stamped my passport, went through the normal questions but after letting him know that this was my first time on Jost his answer was: What took you so long?
I caught a ride over the hill and headed to White Bay Campground and set up my tent. With this view it can hardly be called roughing it.
After setting in I wandered over to the conveniently positioned Ivan's Stree Free Bar made some new friends and the rest of the night took the same fuzzyness as my pictures.
I awoke the next morning with a bit of a hangover and an abandoned beach. Which is beautiful but not very helpful when you're in dire need of a bottle of water. I case you're wondering the island doesn't really stir before 9 am. I did end up finding Seddy, owner of the One Love bar and he took pity on me and pulled out a bottle of ice cold water from behind his bar. Perfect way to start the morning.
Jost is a lovely island that comes alive with perpetual adult spring breakers on sail boats during the day and goes back to it's quiet island at night and in the mornings. The rum drinks are strong and sweet. There's a feeling of camaraderie, I think from having reached this small island paradise. I spent a lot of time relaxing on the beach and chatting with people that were invariably surprised that I was by my self and camping in a tent.
I wasn't able to go scuba diving because I was the only one interested (downside to solo travel). However, I did go snorkeling. It was fun and there was a nice group of people. However I was most entertained by this Island and restaurant. It's Norman Island also known as Treasure Island. Officially the nicest bathrooms I saw down there.

It's owned by Dr Henry Jarecki who made a lot of money in commodities and other Wall street-esk endeavors. What I like is that he made a lot of money and bought Treasure Island. Who can beat that at a dinner party? I don't know any of the details around why he bought Norman but it makes me think of a child reading Robert Louis Stevenson's book and dreaming of pirates. And then that child grows up (kind of), makes money and buys the island.

It was a quick trip but a great escape from reality and it's given me ideas about a boat for next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment